Tuesday, February 24, 2009

simplicity or viva la vida and the satch

Im trying to get back in the swing of things. First of all thank you, Karl for your comment... although I think i should stick to the lack of updates... seems I get more comments that way. Hmm, well I am trying to figure out a direction that I want to take this blog. I know that with my very limited Blogger account that there is not much I can do. I have a vision of what I think would be cool and very web 2.0 or whatever the catchphrase may be. But with limited resources and time i have to settle for this.

Well, let's move on to more non-important stuff. This time I want to talk about when to play music. In music there is a note and a rest. The rest is just as important as the note. The rest gives the listener time to process the note that is being played. In this sense it is important to be able to convey the meaning of the song with no meaningless notes. This will give the listener the ability to process the song with little or no confusion as to what is being played.

A great example is the current debate between coldplay and Joe Satriani. You see there are allegations that coldplay ripped Joe's song of in order to crate the title track to their gammy winning masterpiece. Yet... shouldn't Joe have won the title before coldplay with that SAME melody if it was sooo great?



Ok so listen at about :58 seconds you will hear the riff that Joe satch is suing coldplay for. Hear is the coldplay song just for reference



Ok so coldplay won a grammy and outside of people who play guitar hero and played guitar in highschool no one has heard of Joe Satch. The reason is simple. Simplicity and claity of the medoldy without anything clouding it up.

So as a bass player and as a musician in general it is of the upmost importance that we learn when to play and when not to play. This week I am not playing at all on wednesday night. This is because both the worship leader and I feel that the set, the team, and the lack of practice that we have will not work full band. Thus we can achieve the level of intesity and clarity that is needed without playing.

night guys

No comments:

Here it goes